How To Setup a Mining Rig
In this tutorial we will show you how to setup a Mining Rig, and give you tips on how to make your system optimized and more efficient. We have a guide on ‘How To Build a Mining Rig‘ if you do need help building your rig first.
Now your motherboard should be ready for mining, and you should be able to see the display through your built-in integrated graphics.
In this tutorial of ‘How To Setup a Mining Rig’ we will be using Windows 10, yes you can go ahead and use Linux or Windows 7.
To get started you will need…
- Flash Drive (5GB & Up)
- Internet connection
- Laptop or a PC
- Windows 10 Media Creation Tool
Windows 10 OS Download
Once you prepare all the required items, open Media Creation Tool and then select the USB letter that shows up and then run it. Make sure you select the correct one to avoid deleting your personal data.
So now your Bootable USB is ready, plug it in the Rig and boot up, it should take you to the Windows installation page, follow through with all the steps, don’t worry about buying a license so just hit Skip or Later when it prompts you for the key, once you get to the customer experience settings make sure to uncheck all the options, and anything else that pops up (Activity history, personalized experience, Microsoft login).
All those are extra unnecessary services for your mining rig, and yes don’t log in with your Microsoft account, set it up as an offline machine WITHOUT A PASSWORD (just hit enter when they ask for a password), as it will save you lots of time later on when you want to remote control it. Installer should be preparing your Windows now.
Updates & Drivers
After the setup is done, go to Settings then download all the Windows updates, afterwards install your GPU Drivers, for Nvidia Click Here, for AMD Click Here. Make sure you get the right model for your cards when you install the drivers, and always install the latest official download (not beta).
Finish installing all the updates, then install these applications…
Now reboot your Rig & head to the next section after ALL updates are installed.
What you should have now…
- BIOS Settings changed, and your Display is connected to the motherboard.
- Windows installed and up to date
- Offline account meaning you can just boot on and be able to see the desktop without any password requirements.
- The 3 Applications installed. (Teamviewer, MSI Afterburner, GPU-Z)
Now we will focus on making the OS as efficient as possible when it comes to Mining, we will reduce all the resources that are being used, and make sure it stays consistent and require the less maintenance possible.
Lets start with the Control Panel. Navigate to Control Panel > System and Security > System and change these 2 settings: (refer to pic 1)
- Navigate to the Advanced tab, click on Performance, change to Performance Mode. (refer to pic 2)
- Go to Advanced in the same box that popped up after the first step and then go to Memory Latency – Change it to 2000MB Per GPU you have for Initial, and for the Max 3000MB Per GPU. Example: You have 3 RX 580s, that would be 6000MB for Initial, 9000MB Max. (refer to pic 3)
Now we move on to the power settings.
- Power Settings > Advanced Power Settings
- Select High Performance settings
- Change plan settings
- Navigate to Advanced Power Settings
- Set PCI Express Link power management to Off (refer to the picture below)
Now that you have everything setup and you downloaded your corresponding drivers for the GPUs your running finish off by booting off the Rig unplug it from the power completely. Shutdown the PSU switch, and go ahead and plug in the rest of your GPUs, make sure you start from top to bottom, (first slot is always the first x16 slot, then you can connect the mini ones above it).
Connect everything with care, make sure you are plugging it the right way, if you don’t then there is a great chance that you will burn the PCI-E slot or plug. The USB plug will face opposite of the CPU, and the hedge will go off the left side of the PCI-E Slots. (refer to pic below)
Now you are ready to start mining! Articles related to different miners and algos will be coming soon!
Table of Contents
Searching For Specific Posts?
Latest GPU Mining Guides:
Latest Project Reviews:
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Be notified when we publish new Articles and Tutorials